Monday, June 15, 2009

Saturday, in the park

Oglebay Park, in Wheeling, WV to be specific. Through the magic of the internet, and no small amount of planetary harmonic convergence, I ended up working as second shooter to the wonderful Heidi Good, a Wheeling native now living and working in New York City. It was her role to tell the story of the couple's happy day, so I won't do that here. Instead I'll talk about me. This is, after all, a blog.

Heidi is the kind of wedding photographer I want to be when I grow up. What I mean is, her whole attitude is one I find so appealing. Wedding photography is about dropping into someone's life on That Most Important Day, then, ideally, leaving them with a record that will be meaningful and enduring, reminding them of all the things that made the day special. Retelling the story, as it were. It's not about a number of hours of coverage, or a number of pictures, or even a book or album; those products emerge from the process of entering the family's world and documenting it during the time you have together.

It was a long day of hard work, but so very rewarding. More, please.

No comments: